Forums » Wireless Hacking and Security

Wifi with Long Range and connectivity

• 6 posts
    June 13, 2016 1:16 AM EDT

I have a wifi access point with external anteena and i want to increse its connectivity to atleast 500 meter omni .

my access point is TP-LINK TL-WA901ND

i dont want to use mesh to solve this issue

any suggestions are welcome

• 112 posts
    June 13, 2016 1:25 AM EDT

the problem with increasing range or connectivity,  unless im incorrect,  is the fact that both devices need to be upgraded.   Just because 1 is sending strong,  doesnt mean that it can amplify weak signals without having some corruption in the packets.

I used an old rca satalite dish, with optimal positioning for a nice line of sight long range setup.  I also took my wireless card and bypassed some of the resistors to give me a bit more broadcast power. (plus put the antenna in a makeshift pepsi cantena)

(note, this will ruin your device after a while, and I was too cheap to go buy an amplifier) 

im not sure if this is really what youre asking, or if my answer is too "day 1" for your problem,  but I answered it anyways haha.

Note, with my method, I extended my wireless effectively across about 10 acres of land, no obstructions in the line of sight.

(I totally jimmy rigged it)

This post was edited by psychomarine at June 13, 2016 1:25 AM EDT
    • 6 posts
    June 13, 2016 1:49 AM EDT

Currently i am doing with "Sunhans 20W Wireless Network WiFi outdoor Signal Booster Amplifier 2.4G" and "airmax amo2g13 anteena"

but can only cover 60-80 meter connectivity .

i am looking for some decent solution which works in my case

also i am still confuse that can i add somthing like this to add 5-10 antena in one access point ?

• 36 posts
    June 13, 2016 8:00 PM EDT
    Dumb question. Does your router need to match the booster frequency? If so, are you?
    They both run same... never mind. Maybe your router to weak. Reading on Google where people was hitting 200meters with those antennas.
    This post was edited by Darkvoid at June 13, 2016 8:31 PM EDT
    • 6 posts
    June 14, 2016 12:39 AM EDT
    Darkvoid said:
    Dumb question. Does your router need to match the booster frequency? If so, are you? They both run same... never mind. Maybe your router to weak. Reading on Google where people was hitting 200meters with those antennas.

"Dumb question" yes it is because excellency always start with getting answer of dumb question.

well is there any way to calculate exactly how how many and in which extend i can increase any router/ap range

bacause i can change my router if i am able to calculate which one can fulfill my need

This post was edited by alexelixir at June 14, 2016 12:39 AM EDT