Forums » General Topics

Old Enigma

This topic has been closed.
    • 1 posts
    June 10, 2016 9:45 AM EDT

    I am very disappointed that now the challenges are available only with real money. I had solved on the old site quite a few tasks and now I can no longer benefit from the site. I have already donated on the old site, and maybe I would voluntary do it also on the new one, but not purchase the functions. It has to be free for user as me in the beginnig who where to young to pay money to learn something. Very bad decission. So goodbye


    This post was edited by crypt0r at June 10, 2016 9:45 AM EDT
    • 10 posts
    June 10, 2016 1:54 PM EDT

    While it can suck to have to pay for many of the missions, if you were active in the community at all before v5, youd have known that Psycho was dealing with alot of money prblems with this site. i think this is definitely the most reasonable way to solve it. Heres Psycho explaining it himself: http://www.enigmagroup.org/forums/topic/2/is-anything-being-migrated-over

    • 117 posts
    June 12, 2016 8:55 PM EDT

    the challenges arent avaliable only for real money.  You get many free challenges.   But, to get extended challenges, access to more features, and a better all around experience, then yes,  I have offered that ability via cash.

     

    As for you not being able to afford $25 a year because of your age: Simple solution:    Be active.  Earn enough credits to get your membership for free.

     

    Besides.  Bottom line is this.  Everyone wants something for free.    I bet if this was a ps4 account or an xbox live account, youve have begged your parents for the money.  So.   As you see.  Youre certainly not out of options.  Besides: youve donated in the past, so cash cant be that hard to come by eh?

     

    As for your leaving.  So be it.   I did not spend the past what, 13 years with a few others, making this site for you to learn, and gain no benefit from it whatsoever.  SO enjoy.   But youll be missing out on new things that other sites have never, and will never have.

     

    Thanks for stopping by.     

    • 10 posts
    June 14, 2016 10:37 PM EDT
    psychomarine said:

    As for you not being able to afford $25 a year because of your age: Simple solution:    Be active.  Earn enough credits to get your membership for free. 

    To play devil's advocate here, I do understand where the frustration is coming from.

    I think you can only get something like 8000 credits (the actual figure is probably much lower, I didn't count) from challenges, that leaves a 17,000+ credits gap.

    The max credits that one can obtain a week is 2210 excluding finding vulnerabilities and running lessons (and challenges which are accounted for above). I don't believe that skillset lessons are available yet. 

    So at 2210 credits per week, max, from participating, that'll take about 9 weeks to amass enough credits to get EnigmaClusive. That's the quickest anyone can get EnigmaClusive for free...however:-

    The state of the forum at the moment doesn't really allow for that many credits to be obtained, or for many posts to be shared on social media, and with most actions only accruing 1 credit at a time, accruing 100 credits for each of those is pretty much impossible. That leaves MAYBE 500 credits a week (which seems close to unobtainable as well). At 500 credits per week, you're looking at 34 weeks or about 8 months to get enough credits to get free EnigmaClusive. That's hard work for the current ADD generation to swallow.

    15,000 credits might be more realistic as a total, which would mean 7000 credits, or 14 weeks to accrue enough credits for EnigmaClusive.

    Again, playing devil's advocate. 

    • 117 posts
    June 14, 2016 11:55 PM EDT

    14 weeks really isnt that long,  thats why we use the term "earn"

     

    just sayin

    • 10 posts
    June 15, 2016 1:55 AM EDT
    haZed said:
    psychomarine said:

    As for you not being able to afford $25 a year because of your age: Simple solution:    Be active.  Earn enough credits to get your membership for free. 

    To play devil's advocate here, I do understand where the frustration is coming from.

    I think you can only get something like 8000 credits (the actual figure is probably much lower, I didn't count) from challenges, that leaves a 17,000+ credits gap.

    The max credits that one can obtain a week is 2210 excluding finding vulnerabilities and running lessons (and challenges which are accounted for above). I don't believe that skillset lessons are available yet. 

    So at 2210 credits per week, max, from participating, that'll take about 9 weeks to amass enough credits to get EnigmaClusive. That's the quickest anyone can get EnigmaClusive for free...however:-

    The state of the forum at the moment doesn't really allow for that many credits to be obtained, or for many posts to be shared on social media, and with most actions only accruing 1 credit at a time, accruing 100 credits for each of those is pretty much impossible. That leaves MAYBE 500 credits a week (which seems close to unobtainable as well). At 500 credits per week, you're looking at 34 weeks or about 8 months to get enough credits to get free EnigmaClusive. That's hard work for the current ADD generation to swallow.

    15,000 credits might be more realistic as a total, which would mean 7000 credits, or 14 weeks to accrue enough credits for EnigmaClusive.

    Again, playing devil's advocate. 

    I completely understand but i feel like it just needs to be said that through this credit thing, Psycho is literally giving away money. even after putting in thousands of dollars into this website hes allowing people to potentially get things for free that would otherwise cost 25$. while yes it does take a long time, people who are upset with the current way of v5 need to realize that its way way better than it could be, he could charge $25 per month (and he'd be justified to do it too). This isnt an attack on you, i reaize you are just giving both sides of the argument but i feel like this needed to be said. 

    • 10 posts
    June 15, 2016 7:12 AM EDT
    psychomarine said:

    14 weeks really isnt that long,  thats why we use the term "earn"

    just sayin

     

    14 weeks is the reduced "15,000 credits for EnigmaClusive" cost instead of the current 25,000 credits. At 25,000 credits you're looking at closer to 34 weeks. That said, leechers will be leechers.

    I was just doing the math to see what it would take and to work out whether the frustration was warranted. Decided to give some feedback on my observations.

     

    AmosRamos said:
    I completely understand but i feel like it just needs to be said that through this credit thing, Psycho is literally giving away money. even after putting in thousands of dollars into this website hes allowing people to potentially get things for free that would otherwise cost 25$. while yes it does take a long time, people who are upset with the current way of v5 need to realize that its way way better than it could be, he could charge $25 per month (and he'd be justified to do it too). This isnt an attack on you, i reaize you are just giving both sides of the argument but i feel like this needed to be said. 

     

    I know how much it costs and I know how much time it takes to run this site. I was an admin here for a long time and hosted EnigmaGroup on my servers for many years. There's definitely a feeling of being unappreciated when so many expect so much and don't give anything in return. Then when people complain that you want to charge a fee to cover those costs, it's pretty bewildering. The self-entitlement is high for sure.

    I also agree that there needs to be a fee to cover the costs of the site and the time put in. My feedback isn't to disagree with that, but to make sense of the observations and to look for a happy medium that will do 2 things:

    1. Drive up participation through social rewards by lowering the barrier of entry. If people think it's too difficult, they'll give up. By lowering the amount of participation that people need to do to get entry, more people will participate.
    2. Drive up paid memberships by lowering the cost. If people think it's a fair price; they'll pay. Something similar to the Netflix and Spotify price model at EG might be more palatable to some people.

    Of course, there's also the hybrid option that psychomarine has put in place to help achieve this: pay for SOME credits, and earn the rest. Again, if someone can pay $5 for 5,000 credits, earn 8,000 credits through challenges, and only have to earn 2,000 through social participation, that's very palatable. If they're paying the $5 for 5,000 credits, earning 8,000 credits through challenges, then having to earn another 12,000 credits through social participation, that's quite the feat to ask for.

    Maybe a monthly subscription fee of $1.99 would seem more reasonable to some. It'd bring the total yearly to just shy of $24, but the upfront cost would be much lower.

    Anyway, that's my two cents. I'll support psychomarines choices on it either way.


    This post was edited by haZed at June 15, 2016 7:13 AM EDT
    • 36 posts
    June 15, 2016 7:44 AM EDT
    I been a member for a long time.I don't have access to all the missions now. It really not that hard to earn credits. Be active and contribute to the site gives you free rewards. Besides it not all about doing missions. You find a nice read on a new exploit, post it. You just earn points. Groups are formed, be active in those, boom points...
    • 36 posts
    June 15, 2016 7:47 AM EDT
    Maybe a better solution would be a yearly subscription or the option to pay to unlock group of missions. Let say I just want access to programming. I pay $5 for it and have full access. Next time I pay again to have cracking unlock.
    • 20 posts
    June 15, 2016 2:10 PM EDT

    Even when I was still in college and not coming here all the time, I would contribute like $5 a month. That's nothing. That's like one Subway sandwich per month. Anyways, at that rate, you could easily subsidize the credits you needed for EGC. By the way, Darkvoid, I just bought 30,000 credits this morning, so if you want EGC, let me know and I'll send you some.

    • 36 posts
    June 15, 2016 2:19 PM EDT
    Thanks man, I'm good. I already done all the missions :). For now I have college to deal with. I come here to take a break.
    • 20 posts
    June 15, 2016 2:21 PM EDT

    Okie dokie haha. I'm still working on a challenge to give them away

    • 36 posts
    June 15, 2016 3:25 PM EDT
    Nice :)
    • 48 posts
    June 17, 2016 11:16 AM EDT
    ahm why not earn money through google adsense or bitcoin?
    just saying
    • 117 posts
    June 17, 2016 11:22 AM EDT

    Nobody wants ads spammed all over the page.      

     

    The method in place is THE method in place and it will never change at this point.  

     

    This topic is now locked.