Forums » Contests and Mini Events

June 2016 monthly challenge

This topic has been closed.
    • 36 posts
    June 1, 2016 5:46 AM EDT

Ausome1, a digital art freelancer, was hired by Enigmagroup to make a one of a kind image. On the day Ausome1 was to upload the image, her interent went out. Desperate to upload the image on time, she decided to use the local coffee public wifi. 

Kernelmod, a wannabe hacker, was also at this coffee shop. She was testing her new packet capturing skills. Unknowingly, Ausome1 uploads the image onto a website without using enigma's VPNs. Thinking everything is OK, Ausome1 goes home. 

Kernelmod, after collecting some packets, also goes home. Kernelmod, unable to sleep that night, decide to view the capture packets she got. OMG... I found Enigmagroup one of a kind image... 

Challenge begins (worth 4000 credits)

1. What was the image and what was the hidden message?

Bonus question (worth 1000 credits)

1. What site Ausome1 used to upload the image?

Download file kernelmod captured:

http://filedropper.com/egv5-monthlychallenge1

This post was edited by Darkvoid at June 1, 2016 7:50 AM EDT
    • 3 posts
    June 1, 2016 8:40 AM EDT

Hi,

I got it, should I post here, or? :-)

• 36 posts
    June 1, 2016 8:48 AM EDT
    Explain how it was done as well
    • 3 posts
    June 1, 2016 9:09 AM EDT

I tried to load the image up to show, but it didn't work. :-D

Just opened the captured packets with editor and found the following link in it: http://imgur.com/2gWAARg

There I found the image with some binary code in it, so the next step was to translate it into text: 

The capture flag is: EGv5IsFinallyHere

• 36 posts
    June 1, 2016 9:19 AM EDT
    Yep, I'll let pyschimarine know you solved it.
    The other way if solving it was with wire shark. Load the file into wire shark. Then click on the file menu. Choice the export object feature and then HTTP. A window will pop open. Download all the info into a folder. Open the folder and you will find the image as well.
    • 3 posts
    June 1, 2016 9:33 AM EDT

I thought there must be another way, but I'm not so experienced in using all those tools yet. :-)

But that's what I'm here for! So thank you for that tipp, I will try it this way too... ;-)

• 122 posts
    June 1, 2016 11:44 AM EDT

Congratulations!

Points have been Awarded.   

Closing this thread for the archive.