Forums » General Topics

Is anything being migrated over?

• 10 posts
    June 2, 2016 9:10 PM EDT

You can always do what I did and get a bonus 10,000 points for reporting a vulnerability in the site.

• 78 posts
    June 4, 2016 11:53 AM EDT
    If there is no paywall, then how is this site supposed to be maintained? It needs money. Those of us that were here in EGv4 know that donations didn't bring in enough money.
    This post was edited by Ididitforthelulz at June 4, 2016 11:54 AM EDT
    • 78 posts
    June 4, 2016 12:39 PM EDT
    When you're running a business (which EG is, it's a nonprofit) you are going to have to pay money. Even nonprofits have to take in enough money to maintain themselves. Many do make money off of donations, but history shows that donations on EG do not bring in enough money.
    • 10 posts
    June 5, 2016 7:37 PM EDT

@KC-Cracky, have you donated in the past?

A little background on how EnigmaClusive came about and how it originally played out.

EG has always cost money to the people running it. Everyone who has been involved at one point or another has always paid out of pocket to run the server costs, which has been fine because they're all naturally sharers of information.

In 2007-ish, EnigmaClusive was introduced as a way to share that burden. I'd built about 30 challenges at that point and had a bunch more in draft/alpha mode. Psychomarine came up with the idea to introduce a paid membership that would grant access to some exclusive challenges. The Cricke7s realistic challenge was the first to be introduced into the EnigmaClusive package, with NURV challenges soon following.

We continued to release new challenges for free memberships while simultaneously releasing new challenges for EnigmaClusive memberships. We found that even with exclusive challenges, only the same 4-5 supporters would continue to donate, so EnigmaClusive hadn't been effective.

Later in 2007, we rebuilt the whole challenge engine and the challenge points system. This included breaking down all the basic challenges into their groups, introducing new categories (such as the patching and stego categories), and of course setting the EnigmaClusive challenges to public access. More people were able to access these categories, and donations actually went down. 

We kept on releasing new features and new challenges, members came and went, but we continued to foot the bill and donate countless hours of our own into a project that was used by many but only a few showed their appreciation.

We tried ads- people used ad blockers. We tried donations- people didn't donate. We tried donation drives- they weren't exactly successful. 

I haven't been involved in EG for quite a few years now, but I understand why psychomarine has introduced this system. Sure, it's frustrating and you can't get to things that you used to be able to get to. Maybe too many challenges are restricted to paid members only. Maybe only new challenges should be EC only? I don't know, and I'm no longer in control of the site. Hell, I can't even access most of the challenges that I coded myself. One thing I am sure of is that this wouldn't have happened had any of the aforementioned tactics worked, and that without this, EG users wouldn't have to worry about a massive user slump as EG would probably no longer exist.

• 10 posts
    June 7, 2016 5:48 PM EDT

@haZed

Just want to say you did a damn good job with some of the ones you coded. Brain busters for sure.  Any books to recommend? ^^

Anyways, I did donate last year to help try to keep EG alive when it came back from oblivion/raised from the grave when we didnt have enough time to do a fundraiser.  So, I kind of agree with this system having seen hardly anyone donate over the past few years since I started.  See back in 2013 we had quite a bit of people donate but then it started to gradually drop to the point of 0 over and over per month.  Also, I noticed a big drop in users since then and before EGv4 basically died.  Anyways, with this new system I think we will have more of an incentive to have users be more active and focus more on what to learn.

@psychomarine

Looking forward to the CEH stuff and new challenges! ^^

• 78 posts
    June 8, 2016 2:23 PM EDT
    The memberships are helping to pay for new things: the pdf library and the CEH training are two such things and there will be new missions added in the future. Let me remind you again, Enigma is a business. It may be a nonprofit, but is still a business nonetheless. The paywall isn't coming down. The only way things will change is if not enough people buy memberships. There are also many places out there where you can get similar knowledge, but for far more money. $25 for a YEAR isn't that much.
    • 122 posts
    June 8, 2016 3:32 PM EDT

@Kc-Cracky  -  Clearly you're butthurt about something.  Who knows what or why.  Besides, nobody ever claimed the server costs $250 a month.  Youre just making things up to support your own arguement.  Bad form.

BUT

If you wish to have access to all the challenges, and all the features that normal users do not get to use, then theres a cost.   

If $25 bucks a year is too much money for you,  feel free to collect your things and move along.

Its a simple concept, and nobody is really willing to debate you on null points.

Thanks.

• 4 posts
    June 8, 2016 3:49 PM EDT
    KC-Cracky said:

Yeah right. Bye.

Delete my account, i haven't found the section to do this myself...

You're removing yourself from the site because of server costs? lol

~blink

• 122 posts
    June 8, 2016 3:52 PM EDT

You can find a delete button in the settings menu on the top navigation.

Enjoy.

• 122 posts
    June 8, 2016 4:10 PM EDT

Click on subscriptions and magic happens.  A wild delete button appears.

• 122 posts
    June 8, 2016 4:14 PM EDT

Well then I guess youre just stuck here.

• 78 posts
    June 8, 2016 8:27 PM EDT
    Apparently his updates stayed. I came back to 11 notifications. At least 2 were from him.
    • 2 posts
    August 2, 2016 2:24 AM EDT
    psychomarine said:

there are no longer "points" nor a toplist for challenges.  

Now you earn credits which can be traded in for a membership or other items as we add them.

Running a legit business has a cost associated with it. We are a Legit and legally registered business.  Unfortunatually, we no longer can offer our services entirely for free.

The yearly membership isnt just for challenges.  Its for a decent array of features that you dont have the ability to use as a free user.   You may notice, there are no ads. There is no donation link.   This is how the website and business supports itself.

The challenges offer a different level of credits than on the old enigmagroup.  It was necessary to perform a full reset.

Do note:  Nobody is required to pay.  You can be active and participate in the community and earn enough credits to reward yourself with a free EnigmaClusive membership, over a short peroid of time.

Thanks

my biggest problem isnt the fact i lost all progress or even the "pay to win" i hate the new lay out it looks so facebook/social medial, i loved the console look it felt hackerish forbiden or something. it had a unique feel i loved the site now feel like social media... bah