Forums » General Topics

Is anything being migrated over?

• 78 posts
    May 28, 2016 9:42 PM EDT
    I'm curious if anything from version 4 will come over. Specifically points and posts.
    • 117 posts
    May 28, 2016 10:27 PM EDT

Nah.

I thought long and hard about that, and decided that 95% of the posts there were shit and were not worth transferring.

The points for the challenges have all been changed and follows a different algorithm, plus there were many people on the very top that could not be caught.  This gives everyone a level playing ground.  

Also, the points dont only come from challenges now,  now its also your activity that gets you credits too.

Useful in the future for exchanging for items, memberships, or even giving away.

• 78 posts
    May 28, 2016 10:28 PM EDT
    Alright thanks. I'm really happy about the credits system though.
    • 12 posts
    May 29, 2016 12:10 PM EDT

hehe, everybodies back at zero? nice

• 78 posts
    May 29, 2016 12:12 PM EDT

Should be interesting to see how things turn out.

• 3 posts
    May 29, 2016 1:52 PM EDT

How about why the heck is nobody complaining that all progress just got wiped, and to get back up to the same progress we now need to pay $25 USD per year? What kind of hacker community is this that puts most of the good stuff behind a paywall?

• 0 posts
    May 29, 2016 1:57 PM EDT

Sling, 25 USD is not a lot of money for the work these people do, they provide you a place to practice certain skills. They also have to pay for server maintenance and give support. So if you don't think they deserve some compensation for that, then don't pay, but please stop complaining. And for the progress wipe, if you still have the skills, it will be a breeze to get back to where you were ;)

• 3 posts
    May 29, 2016 2:01 PM EDT

I don't know of any other challenge / wargame sites that enforce this kind of payment. And I really doubt EG staff needs thousands of dollars per year to run a few servers. Since most/all challenges are simulated they don't even need dedicated machines for wargames or fancy virtualization/docker setups. Also in the past years there have hardly been any new levels added, so I don't feel like I would be throwing my money at something that will be a good RoI.

Wiping the forum was silly, it contained some good information and gave people hints about challenges.

Wiping challenge progress was even more silly, I can't get back to my old progress without throwing money at the site now, and that goes for most of the active EG users.

• 117 posts
    May 29, 2016 2:02 PM EDT

there are no longer "points" nor a toplist for challenges.  

Now you earn credits which can be traded in for a membership or other items as we add them.

Running a legit business has a cost associated with it. We are a Legit and legally registered business.  Unfortunatually, we no longer can offer our services entirely for free.

The yearly membership isnt just for challenges.  Its for a decent array of features that you dont have the ability to use as a free user.   You may notice, there are no ads. There is no donation link.   This is how the website and business supports itself.

The challenges offer a different level of credits than on the old enigmagroup.  It was necessary to perform a full reset.

Do note:  Nobody is required to pay.  You can be active and participate in the community and earn enough credits to reward yourself with a free EnigmaClusive membership, over a short peroid of time.

Thanks

• 3 posts
    May 29, 2016 2:13 PM EDT

You can be active and participate in the community and earn enough credits to reward yourself with a free EnigmaClusive membership, over a short peroid of time.

The EnigmaClusive membership is 25000 points for a year, didn't see an option for a shorter membership. And I just counted, it seems you can get 10k points from doing all publically available challenges (assuming all the realistic ones are all publically available, I didn't see any notes there, and also excluding the steganography + other categories which seem to be down). How would people get the remaining 15000 points needed to get one year of special access?

• 117 posts
    May 29, 2016 2:15 PM EDT

@sling - No  We do not need thousands of dollars per year to run this site.

We need exactly: $678.23

But what about my labor? Certainly you dont expect me to dedicate 2000 hours of labor for free over the course of a year?

What about the yearly business registration/renewal fees and taxes?

What about the CEH licensing we have purchased (still formatting to the cms, releasing very soon)?

Other licensing that we have paid or will have to pay for?

And of course, everyone has the option to move along.  

Thanks bro.

• 117 posts
    May 29, 2016 2:17 PM EDT

If you select the credits link at the top of the page, then on the sub-tab on the page it loads, you will see FAQ

This is a breakdown of the points you can earn.   Furthermore, EnigmaClusive members have the ability to donate credits to any member, with some limits.   

you also have the ability to buy credits.  Lets say you are only 5k away from a membership.  You can purchase a small amount of credits to add to your balance.  Totally optional.

This post was edited by psychomarine at May 29, 2016 2:18 PM EDT
    • 117 posts
    May 29, 2016 2:23 PM EDT

I would like to also point out that you can earn 11500 credits from all the free challenges.

Some of the challenges are being reworked, and need a few more days before being online - however, theres plenty to accomplish while everyone waits. 

• 2 posts
    May 30, 2016 2:02 AM EDT

@ psychomarine

I've no problem with the payment system, support it even...
    A week ago I paid 25$ for the EnigmaClusive-Membership. Now i am a normal user and feel me a little deceived. I hope this will be corrected.

• 117 posts
    May 30, 2016 2:18 AM EDT

There was an announcement for a while at the top of the profile on everyones page which said,   if you have enigmaclusive, but dont seem to have it on the new site, to contact me immediatly. 

guess you missed that

• 2 posts
    May 30, 2016 2:59 AM EDT

Thanks for the quick reply. Next time I'd better look... 

• 117 posts
    May 30, 2016 3:03 AM EDT

youve been updated already, so all should be good

• 4 posts
    May 30, 2016 11:08 AM EDT

I understand why you've created the new version of the site the way you have, but I've just noticed the missions I've created are behind the paywall :( I cant help people with my missions if I cant check the answers. Ill get EGClusive soon enough, but I do think that I should be able to double-check the ones I've created, if only for other members actually attempting them.

• 10 posts
    May 31, 2016 1:45 AM EDT

@sling, it's been a long time since I had much to do with the site, but when I did I was forking out $150 a month for server costs and didn't get recoup any of that back through any kind of Enigmaclusive or donations. There was so little of that that it went purely towards domain renewal and EG taking out ads elsewhere. Over the course of the three years that I hosted EG, I was out of pocket $5400. I also built about 50% of those challenges. Countless hours were spent there building something for free, which was fine, but with no donations coming through it felt a little unappreciated. 

I stopped hosting it in 2011 or something and the cost went back to psychomarine. That cost accumulates pretty quickly. The amount of time he seems to have spent here is also out of his own pocket. If you consider $50/hour for someone with his qualifications and experience, multiplied by 200 hours of coding on EGv5 alone, there's a $10,000 cost there. Add to that another 5000 hours he's probably spent here coding, administering, etc, for free, and you're looking at a pretty big sum that's been given to the community for free.

Then take a look at what he's trying to do with EG as a business now where he's offering certified training, ongoing support, etc. As he mentioned that could be upwards of 2000 hours a year.

Honestly, anyone who is saying a site that provides these sorts of resources is not worth anything to them has no place for complaints. Take your free membership, use it, if you want more, pay for it. I see no problem here?

• 10 posts
    May 31, 2016 4:01 PM EDT

So I take it the old pastebin/submitted code that some of us shared/wrote are gone then?

Im pretty sure I have mine backed up.. I was just curious.

-K

• 117 posts
    May 31, 2016 4:03 PM EDT

I have them.  Just not here.    I plan on doing something with it all once I write code tags in the forums and articles.

• 10 posts
    May 31, 2016 4:06 PM EDT

[blockquote][b]psychomarine said:[/b]

I have them.  Just not here.    I plan on doing something with it all once I write code tags in the forums and articles.

[/blockquote]

Yay!! ^^

• 20 posts
    June 1, 2016 5:01 PM EDT

Growing pains for sure, but we'll all get over it. Now I have something else to preoccupy myself with this summer I guess

• 20 posts
    June 2, 2016 3:03 PM EDT

[blockquote][b]Sling said:[/b]

You can be active and participate in the community and earn enough credits to reward yourself with a free EnigmaClusive membership, over a short peroid of time.

The EnigmaClusive membership is 25000 points for a year, didn't see an option for a shorter membership. And I just counted, it seems you can get 10k points from doing all publically available challenges (assuming all the realistic ones are all publically available, I didn't see any notes there, and also excluding the steganography + other categories which seem to be down). How would people get the remaining 15000 points needed to get one year of special access?

[/blockquote]

You could also log in and log out 25,000 times. Shouldn't be too hard to write a bot for that ;)

• 117 posts
    June 2, 2016 3:05 PM EDT
    You cannot, as you can see, there's daily limits on action types