Enigma Group's Hacking Forum

User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2015, 02:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Mission Problems? Read up on things that can go wrong.
Forum Stats
47550 Posts in 6048 Topics by 35634 Members
Latest Member: jack.brown842
Enigma Group's Hacking Forum  |  Rules, Voting, News  |  News  |  Mission Mentors
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Mission Mentors  (Read 7957 times)
RedEvolution
Veteran Member
Instant Messenger

• Respect: 0

• « Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 12:37:04 AM »

heres a thought. why not implement like a chat popup window that way if the mentor is on the user with a question can speak with him/her right away not waiting for pm's  or emails?? zeroidentity.com has a JS chat function but the site takes a lil while to load i would definitely not like to slow the loading process

It would probably be alot of work on the server to implement such a feature. Also, I think the PM system would work just fine. If you want to be coder/hacker, you must have patience, and if you do not, you probably won't make it in the field anyway.
    <Captain_Hindsight1> next commenter is gay
    <st3alth> i could try if u want
    <st3alth> no
    <RedEvolution> lol
    <Captain_Hindsight1> LOL
    <st3alth> no
    <RedEvolution> yup
    <st3alth> im not
    <RedEvolution> you admitted it
    <st3alth> i was typing while he said that
    <RedEvolution> mhm, sure
    <st3alth> doesnt count
    <RedEvolution> i have a new sig
    <st3alth> no
    <RedEvolution> ty ^^
    <st3alth> no
    <st3alth> fuck
    BinaryShinigami
    Instant Messenger

• Respect: +6

• In your packets, eating your dataz

The Packet Underground -- Home of Me
    « Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 01:19:56 AM »

Actually a simple chat like that wouldn't be all that hard to implement using Ajax and PHP its basically just like a Ajax shoutbox, just make a function that runs every 30 seconds and checks a db for your username as the target user and if there is an entry, retrieve it and show it and then delete it after the user responds to it. the biggest problem I see with that is the amount of bandwidth you would use and slower computers but I doubt that is much of a problem for most people.

I would also like to help out with this and am willing to help out on any of the missions I've completed so far, I may not post much in the forums but I check the site every hour or so when I'm not at work.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

NOTE: I will not respond to direct PMs regarding missions as I seem to just keep repeating myself for each person. So if you want help join the IRC or post in the forums. Then you will get help.
    ronin
    « Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »

i have an addition to the whole mission mentor thing and sorry if this was already said, i'm just too lazy to be reading all that. just delete this if that's the case.

why not have just mentors

mentors for the trade. hacking is a trade. its not like you can sign up to learn this stuff in school. well, not a class devoted to *everything*.

mentors can be selected based on the mission mentors. obviously, the best ones will be eligable. if ppl agree with this, post yes or no. but, i don't think that mentors should be assigned. instead, i think it should be up to the person who is elegiabnle to accept the position, and then pick who they mentor because honestly, forcing ppl to be with somebody they don't get along with is pointless. its also a great way for the newcommers to get a feel for the community etc. seriously, where are all the old timers, hmm? i bet this would brting a lot of them back. i'll do the mission mentoring, im really rusty on everything, but i could get back into it. need something to do during my CS and C# class. stfu C# is all they had. and my prof is kick ass lol.

ok im focused sorry lol :P

so wadda ya fuckers think bout that? hmm?
    Tony the Computer Guy
    « Reply #33 on: March 10, 2009, 01:38:27 AM »

The chat may not be that hard to implement.  However, storing the logs, maintaining the sumbitch and all the additional load on the server is probably not worth it when there are so many other chatting options already available.

Besides, not all mentors will be available to sit in a chat room all day.  And I agree with RedEvolution, "If you want to be coder/hacker, you must have patience, and if you do not, you probably won't make it in the field anyway." If those needing help can't wait for a PM/email response, then they will never make it.
    Tony the Computer Guy
    « Reply #34 on: March 10, 2009, 01:43:50 AM »

mentors can be selected based on the mission mentors. obviously, the best ones will be eligable. if ppl agree with this, post yes or no. but, i don't think that mentors should be assigned. instead, i think it should be up to the person who is elegiabnle to accept the position, and then pick who they mentor because honestly, forcing ppl to be with somebody they don't get along with is pointless. its also a great way for the newcommers to get a feel for the community etc. seriously, where are all the old timers, hmm? i bet this would brting a lot of them back. i'll do the mission mentoring, im really rusty on everything, but i could get back into it. need something to do during my CS and C# class. stfu C# is all they had. and my prof is kick ass lol.

We will not be assigning or forcing mentors to anyone.  Users will be able to click on a "Find A Mentor" link that will show them a list of users that have completed that mission and volunteered to mentor others.  When the person in needs chooses from that list, they will be linked to the mentor's profile page to get their contact info.
    DecruTyte
    « Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 01:10:32 AM »

I like this idea
    Tony the Computer Guy
    « Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »

The mission mentors has FINALLY gone live!  You will notice some new links near each mission.  First, a link to display a pop-up list of available mentors for that mission.  A second link will appear if you have completed the mission to allow you to register as a mentor for that mission.  You will see an end mentor link instead if you are currently a mentor on that mission.

Post your feedback on this new feature.  Enjoy!
    Ausome1
    Administrator
    Elite
    Instant Messenger

• Respect: +4

• Private Tunnels
    « Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »

Good work Tony, the mentors is a welcome addition to EG.
    Never take two clocks to sea. Take one or three.

Q: HOW DO YOU ANNOY A WEB DEVELOPER?
    aVoid
    Veteran
    Instant Messenger

• Respect: +16

• whoami

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 11:52:52 AM »

Very good work. In Patching, ASP and Cold Fusion are missing the Mentor links?
    [11:06] <hackerankit> hi can u teach me facebook hacking
    [11:07] <aVoid> no
    [11:07] <hackerankit> oh then r u on facebook
    [11:07] <hackerankit> u r in any socialnetworking site
    [11:08] <hackerankit> thats cool........

[15:03] <psychomarine> I just went out in the yard and beat all the kids asses with my light sabre

The only difference between a bug and a vulnerability is the intelligence of the attacker.
    Ausome1
    Administrator
    Elite
    Instant Messenger

• Private Tunnels
    « Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »

Just remember everyone, signing up as a mentor doesn't mean giving the answer away. Just be there to give them a big push in the right direction. We still want to promote learning and thinking on the mentee's part.

Tony the Computer Guy
    « Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »

Very good work. In Patching, ASP and Cold Fusion are missing the Mentor links?

Thanks!  I've fixed that bug.
    Ausome1
    Administrator
    Elite
    Instant Messenger

• Private Tunnels
    « Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »

For those of you that don't know what the "mission mentors" is, If you look next to each of the training missions on their main landing pages, you will now see a "Find a Mentor" link. Various members have already volunteered to help mentor some of the missions of their choosing. I encourage more of you to sign up if you have already completed a mission and feel you can help teach someone new.

Link-
    Veteran Member
    Hero
    Instant Messenger

• Respect: +2

• .o0o.

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 07:52:08 PM »

I gotta hand it to you Tony the Computer Guy :) You've done a great job so far..
    Thanks!
    Ios
    « Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 08:56:32 PM »

Nice !! ;D This kind of thing's make E.G better than other sites (my humble opinion)

P.S I Wonder if Psychomarine is going to volunteer to be a mentor.........  ::)
    Psiber_Syn
    Global Moderator
    Post Junkie
    Instant Messenger

• Respect: +2

• ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ (ಠ ಠ) Stewie

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 09:57:47 PM »

seriously would you want psycho to be your mentor "shivers" scares me just thinking of it :-) stick with a nice one like link- or ausome1 lol
    -_- Phear teh Phirey Pwny! ** Sizzle Sizzle** -_-
    <aVoid`IT>  slaps Psiber_Syn around a bit with a large trout
    <aVoid`IT>  consider yourself rewarded
    =-=   aVoid`IT was booted from #enigmagroup by YOU (Psiber_Syn) Pwned

<Rik> rubbing seems to have made it worse
    <Ultraminor^> I exploited your mother
           <Ultraminor^> 's server
    Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
    « previous next »

Find Us on Facebook! Find us at Facebook! - Follow Us! Follow us with Twitter! - Make sure to Stumble us! Stumble upon us! - Subscribe! Subscribe to our feed!
    Review enigmagroup.org on alexa.com

©Enigma Technology Group Inc. 2005-2015